Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Michael Jackson: The Power of Social Media

Paul Davis
For years, Michael Jackson set a standard for “big.” 

When at the top of his game, the Gloved One produced big hits, made big music videos, staged big concerts, and set dance and fashion styles that quickly overtook the elementary school I attended. Regardless of the medium, he seemed to own it with a unique style, talent and presence that I still do not fully understand.

By the time I reached high school, his popularity waned and his behavior become more bizarre. I was surprised when he unveiled plans at 50 to resurrect a career that many had relegated to a bygone era.

Even the press conference Jackson attended (video included below) seemed surreal and I was convinced the man behind the podium could not be the real Michael Jackson. I seriously doubted he would ever be “big” again. I was wrong.

A mid-twenties Michael Jackson wearing a sequined military jacket and dark sunglasses. He is walking while waving his right hand, which is adorned with a white glove. His left hand is bare.
www.wikipedia.org
What I remember about June 25, 2009, was how Michael Jackson's death introduced me to the power of social media. I had been contemplating an online venture tied to my upcoming MBA program, and had even set up a Twitter account, but wondered if there was legitimacy to it. 

Sure, I knew a number of social media enthusiasts but I doubted the ultimate popularity and reach of the medium. 

Much of my longstanding bias was shaped and molded by a career that had included stints in TV, radio and print media, and a belief that the Internet was something with potential though no one had figured out how to harness and direct it. I really needed a catalyst to fully buy into social media.

Those concerns quickly went away with each Facebook post, tweet, and blog account that without delay updated people on Jackson’s condition and death. My doubts about social media vanished with every celebrity and average Joe who responded to the news, outpouring their emotion or sharing their fondest memories. At least one last time, he was “big” by commanding a communication medium. Social media sites locked down over the volume of information passing through the system. It was stunning.

I post this not to exploit what happened four years ago. But I am continuously in awe at how freely we can communicate and how quickly news travels. It’s not just the Jackson tragedy. Just a week ago, a bank I cover restricted media access to an event, yet attendees’ tweets filled in gaps that were created by the absence of mainstream media. The same can be said for war torn areas, natural disasters, and other life-changing events now opened up to full review by empowered people to share their observations and perspective.

It is this empowerment that emboldens me to share my perspectives – both large and small – with you. In turn, I invite each of you to be an integral part of the process. If you feel compelled to post a comment … do so! This blog has never been about unilateral communication. It is, in its most sincere form, a dialogue among students, academics, and those intrigued about the business school experience.

Whether an instructional article or a free form method of discussing an experience, this blog is about uniting business school students and alumni and reaching out to those curious about obtaining an MBA. For lack of better words, this is what we do and why we do it. And in a way, I have to thank the events from 2009 for awakening me and showing me the powerful tool that rests regularly at my fingertips … and the amazing reach that it has across the globe!

No comments:

Post a Comment